Insider Intelligence delivers leading-edge research to clients in a variety of forms, including full-length reports and data visualizations to equip you with actionable takeaways for better business decisions.
In-depth analysis, benchmarks and shorter spotlights on digital trends.
Learn More
Interactive projections with 10k+ metrics on market trends, & consumer behavior.
Learn More
Proprietary data and over 3,000 third-party sources about the most important topics.
Learn More
Industry KPIs
Industry benchmarks for the most important KPIs in digital marketing, advertising, retail and ecommerce.
Learn More
Client-only email newsletters with analysis and takeaways from the daily news.
Learn More
Analyst Access Program
Exclusive time with the thought leaders who craft our research.
Learn More

About Insider Intelligence

Our goal at Insider Intelligence is to unlock digital opportunities for our clients with the world’s most trusted forecasts, analysis, and benchmarks. Spanning five core coverage areas and dozens of industries, our research on digital transformation is exhaustive.
Our Story
Learn more about our mission and how Insider Intelligence came to be.
Learn More
Rigorous proprietary data vetting strips biases and produces superior insights.
Learn More
Our People
Take a look into our corporate culture and view our open roles.
Join the Team
Contact Us
Speak to a member of our team to learn more about Insider Intelligence.
Contact Us
See our latest press releases, news articles or download our press kit.
Learn More
Advertising & Sponsorship Opportunities
Reach an engaged audience of decision-makers.
Learn More
Browse our upcoming and past events, recent podcasts, and other featured resources.
Learn More
Tune in to eMarketer's daily, weekly, and monthly podcasts.
Learn More

Affirm notches strong growth and second straight quarter of profitability

By the numbers: Affirm started off its 2024 fiscal year (ending September 30) with strong growth and its second straight quarter of profitability.

  • Affirm’s gross merchandise volume (GMV) reached $5.6 billion in fiscal Q1 2024, per its earnings supplement. GMV increased 28% year over year (YoY), a deceleration from the 62% YoY growth the year prior.
  • Active consumers and merchants grew 15% and 17%, respectively.
  • Total revenue jumped 37% YoY to $497 million.
  • Affirm also netted profitability on an adjusted basis, with operating income coming in at $60 million (versus a $19 million loss in Q1 2023).

In the spotlight: The company once again highlighted the growth of the Affirm Card.

  • The card boasted 400,000 users in Q1, with as many as 75,000 consumers a month signing up for it.
  • GMV on the Affirm Card totaled $224 million.
  • Card transactions are roughly split between installment payments and paying in full, CEO Max Levchin stated.
  • Overall, 22% of transactions come directly from Affirm’s mobile app, website, or the Affirm card, with the other 78% of transactions occurring at the point of sale.

What this means: BNPL fintechs have long found profitability elusive, but Affirm expects to achieve full-year profitability on an adjusted basis this fiscal year. Klarna also just achieved its first quarterly profit since 2019 in its Q3 2023 earnings (ending September 30). This positions both companies for strong financial health moving forward. In the future, Affirm plans to reinvest some of its profits into growth initiatives.

What’s next? Affirm hopes its growth will continue during the holiday season.

  • More than one-third of US consumers plan to spend more this holiday season than last year, according to a Block and Afterpay survey.
  • US holiday sales are projected to reach $1.316 trillion in 2023, per our forecasts.
  • And two-thirds of consumers plan to use BNPL to ease the stress of holiday shopping, per an Afterpay survey, creating a huge volume opportunity for BNPL fintechs like Affirm.

This article originally appeared in Insider Intelligence's Payments Innovation Briefing—a three-times-weekly recap of top stories reshaping the payments industry. Subscribe to have more hard-hitting takeaways delivered to your inbox daily.