Winners and losers: While other publishers have struggled in the wake of Apple’s AppTrackingTransparency (ATT), Apple Search Ads has tripled its market share of mobile advertising since the first half of 2020, according to AppsFlyer’s latest “Performance Index.”
- Google Ads and Meta Ads in particular have slid back on iOS since ATT.
- Both companies still dominate the Android market, but have lost install market share in the first half of 2022.
- TikTok For Business did well in 2021, but due to a slower second quarter of 2022, the company only increased its install market share by a small amount.
Press play: Rankings are shifting when it comes to gaming.
- Google Ads remains the lead in Android gaming, but it has lost a small portion of its install market share.
- However, Meta Ads has fallen one position in the global rankings in addition to losing a significant portion of its install share.
- Unity Ads also dropped in the rankings, “hit hard” by a faulty audience tool and a loss of data.
- Mintegral and ironSource both increased their install share of gaming apps, driven by a surge in casual gaming.
Buckling down: Apps and marketers alike are tightening their budgets.
- The average app reduced its user acquisition spend by 12% from the first quarter of 2022 to the second, while 14 of the top 20 media platforms had a decline in budgets, including Google, Meta, and Unity.
- Due to rising costs, owned media is gaining popularity, especially among nongaming apps and on iOS.
Hold tight: We expect that the consequences of ATT will continue to unfold and cause issues for the market.
- “ATT has completely upended targeting and measurement infrastructures in mobile advertising,” said our analyst Evelyn Mitchell. “The market is making progress on repairing the damage, but in the meantime, publishers, particularly ad-reliant social platforms, are struggling to monetize their iOS audiences effectively.”
This was originally featured in the eMarketer Daily newsletter. For more marketing insights, statistics, and trends, subscribe here.