Insider Intelligence delivers leading-edge research to clients in a variety of forms, including full-length reports and data visualizations to equip you with actionable takeaways for better business decisions.
In-depth analysis, benchmarks and shorter spotlights on digital trends.
Learn More
Interactive projections with 10k+ metrics on market trends, & consumer behavior.
Learn More
Proprietary data and over 3,000 third-party sources about the most important topics.
Learn More
Industry KPIs
Industry benchmarks for the most important KPIs in digital marketing, advertising, retail and ecommerce.
Learn More
Client-only email newsletters with analysis and takeaways from the daily news.
Learn More
Analyst Access Program
Exclusive time with the thought leaders who craft our research.
Learn More

About Insider Intelligence

Our goal at Insider Intelligence is to unlock digital opportunities for our clients with the world’s most trusted forecasts, analysis, and benchmarks. Spanning five core coverage areas and dozens of industries, our research on digital transformation is exhaustive.
Our Story
Learn more about our mission and how Insider Intelligence came to be.
Learn More
Rigorous proprietary data vetting strips biases and produces superior insights.
Learn More
Our People
Take a look into our corporate culture and view our open roles.
Join the Team
Contact Us
Speak to a member of our team to learn more about Insider Intelligence.
Contact Us
See our latest press releases, news articles or download our press kit.
Learn More
Advertising & Sponsorship Opportunities
Reach an engaged audience of decision-makers.
Learn More
Browse our upcoming and past events, recent podcasts, and other featured resources.
Learn More
Tune in to eMarketer's daily, weekly, and monthly podcasts.
Learn More

US Time Spent with Media 2022

TV’s Latest Plunge, Social Media’s Stagnation, and Digital Video’s Coming Heyday

About This Report
Total time spent with media per day in the US will decline slightly in 2022, but most pandemic-era gains will be retained. Digital video, subscription OTT services, and smartphones will be among the bigger winners this year.
Table of Contents

Executive Summary

US adults will spend 13 hours and 11 minutes (13:11) per day with media in 2022, slightly less than last year (13:13). The net loss will mostly come from a decline in TV time, while a variety of digital activities will experience modest increases.


  1. How much time will US adults spend consuming media each day in 2022, and how will that figure be divided among devices, platforms, and activities?
  2. Which types of media are gaining daily time the quickest and which are losing time?
  3. What is the outlook for traditional versus digital media, particularly in terms of TV versus digital video and radio versus digital audio?

WHAT’S IN THIS REPORT? Our latest forecast for US adult time spent with media per day in 2022 and beyond. Featured forecasts include time spent with digital media, smartphones, desktops/laptops, social networks, digital video, digital audio, subscription OTT (sub OTT), YouTube, TV, and radio.

KEY STAT: This year, US adults will spend 53.7% (or 3:07) of their daily video time with traditional linear TV, and the remaining 46.3% (or 2:41) with digital. This will be the slimmest lead for TV yet.

Here’s what’s in the full report


Exportable files for easy reading, analysis and sharing.


Reliable data in simple displays for presentations and quick decision making.

Table of Contents

  1. Executive Summary
  2. Key Points
  3. How US Adults Fill More than 13 Hours of Media Time Per Day
  1. TV Loses Most of Its Pandemic-Era Gains, Mainly to Digital Video
  2. Digital Audio Will Command More than 20% of Digital Media Time
  3. Spotlight on YouTube: Time Spent on the Country's Most Popular Video Platform Is Shifting Away From Mobile
  1. What Do These Forecasts Mean for Marketers?
  2. Read Next
  3. Media Gallery


Ethan Cramer-Flood


Debra Aho Williamson
Principal Analyst
Paul Briggs
Principal Analyst
Zach Goldner
Junior Forecasting Analyst
Oscar Orozco
Director, Forecasting
Already have a subscription?Sign In

Access All Charts and Data

Gain access to reliable data presented in clear and intelligible displays for quick understanding and decision making on the most important topics related to your industry

Become a Client